Your spot for what's kicking in the world of soccer.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

FYVP: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 7



The Gang is back, and this time it's personal. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 7 kicks off tonight Thursday Sept. 15,  @ 10 pm ET, boasting more ruckus, racial profiling and comedic brilliance than ever before. The most striking difference in this coming season is the introduction of " Fat Mac," gaining over 50 pounds to create the illusion of a deteriorating being. In an interview with MovieWeb,  Rob McElhenney whos plays Mac, discussed the reason for the new found mass...



One of the big things this season we can expect is, you putting on a lot of weight and getting fat. Could you tell us more about that? You actually put on what, 50 pounds I think it is?

Rob McElhenney: Yes. A little over 50 pounds. I think the final count is like 52 or something-53.

Where was the reasoning behind this? Were you guys just like, 'Oh, we think it'd be funny is Mac got fat?' What did you guys think about that?

Rob McElhenney: No. Ultimately, what happened was, it was in between seasons last year; six into seven. And, I was watching a popular sitcom, and I noticed that the actors were getting better looking as the years were going by, and I started to think about any show that I have ever seen in which that wasn't the case.

I feel like shows in their sixth, seventh, and eighth season, the actors have a lot more money, they become a little bit more famous, and they have better access to better wardrobe, new hair, new teeth, sometimes plastic surgery. And, I thought how untrue of life that was, that especially characters like this who abuse themselves in so many different ways, would start to look-would start to deteriorate over time and certainly wouldn't look better. And, our goal has always been to try and do what's not being done on television, and literally deconstructing the sitcom. So, where most sitcoms try to make the characters as lovable and likable, and as far I'm concerned, as fake as possible, we try to go the opposite, which is to make them as deplorable as possible, just to see if we can get away with it. And, it seems like the audience responds to that.

So, for me, it wasn't just about getting overweight, it was about trying to look as unattractive as I possibly could. So, it was as if, what would happen if the character would completely just let himself go and his age caught up to him? So, I grew a disgusting beard, I didn't wash my hair, and I was 50 pounds overweight, and yet the character still thought he looked good. That to me was funny. Simply getting overweight, that would be just a stunt, and that wasn't very funny to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment